09 September 2013

Poha Payasam

I have a reason to celebrate now. My blog has touched its first milestone - Yes, THIS IS MY 100TH RECIPE POST. Is it not a good enough reason to celebrate ??? And sweets always add up the mood of celebration. So here I am, presenting my first sweet dish in this blog - Poha Payasam or Aval Payasam. This is a very simple to make payasam, yet it tastes delicious.

Aval Payasam is generally made as an offering to lord Sri Krishna on occasion of Krishna Jayanthi / Janmasthami.

As I am posting my 100th recipe, I take this opportunity, to thank every reader/visitor to this blog, whose visits & comments have been an immense source of encouragement for me to keep going steadily with my recipes and make this blog what is it now. This blog is also helping me to evolve myself as even a better cook, exploring areas which I might otherwise have left unvisited. My blog will continue focusing on its motto to provide simple & healthy vegetarian cooking accessible and interesting to its readers and to encourage them to try out my recipes at your home. I wish to take this blog to the next level with the same zeal and zest, and do await more recipe categories and healthy recipes, which will come up soon in the future. Keep watching this space regularly & eat healthy and live healthy.


For now, try this aval payasam and sweetly enjoy this sweet dish.

Ingredients:

Poha or Aval (White, thick variety) - 1 Cup
Milk - 1 litre
Sugar - 1/2 to 1 Cup (depending on your sweetness choice)
Cardamom powder - 3/4 tsp
Broken Cashews - 10
Ghee - 4 tsp
Water - 1 Glass



Pre-requisite:

In 2 teaspoon of ghee, fry the broken cashews until light brown and keep ready.



Method:


1. In a non-stick pan/kadai, add 2 teaspoon of ghee and when it becomes hot, add the poha and fry it turns aromatic and light brown.



2. Add one tumbler of water and allow the poha to cook in it for 2-3 minutes.


3. Now add the milk and mix well. Sim the flame and allow the milk to boil. Keep stirring in between. Cook until the milk thickens and starts reducing in quantity. This might take a good 30 to 45 minutes of your time.



4. Now add the required sugar and stir well for it to dissolve and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes.



5. Towards the end, add the cardamom powder and the fried cashews and mix well and remove after a minute or two.



A tasty Poha Payasam is ready to relish !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment